Tuesday, June 9, 2015

This scar(s)?

Yes, I have scars on my body that resulted from abuse, and not many people know about them. While this is the reason I do what I do, I worry mostly about those whose scars we cannot see. Those who we thing are fine, yet they are hiding their scars, stories of abuse because they do not want to be looked at in a different light. I know this because many women and men; survivors of abuse will tell you that when they experienced abuse it was very difficult to convince those close to them about.

My first scars that remind me about abuse remind me a lot of things. I remember when I got these scars because this man I was dating thought that they only way to keep me from walking away from him was to bite me. Oh yes, my scars are bites from a man. Shame right, but that did not stop me from walking away from him. I went as fast as I could away from him. 

What was interesting on that day was that; when I sought help from a guard who was guarding our neighborhood, all I was asked is why I had let him into my house. It was as if inviting a friend into your house justifies abuse. 

I share this because there are very many women out there who are often blamed for the abuse they go through. There are women who have been told all their lives that what happened to them was because they made it happen. No one should ever, believe that abuse that is happening to them is because they are not the reason for their abuser's behavior. 

Parents, we have a responsibility to instill in our children these values. We should not let them take responsibility of other people's abusive behavior. The first step to do this is to teach them on how to call out on abuse, even if this happens in their families, close friends and others. An abused individual needs encouragement to survive their ordeals, turning against them and blaming them for what happened to them is wrong. 

Like me, we can all overcome abuse, but there is a chance that some of us may not. Being there for each other is the first step, even if we are not so close to each other, 

Nurse your scar, but do what you are capable of doing to confront your abusive situation by leaving or seeking help. Always remember that abuse may not be as apparent to us. It is often hidden in scars that are often invisible. Having the ability to identify these scars and to seek help or provide support to anyone who is living the situation is what we are all about. Let’s be proactive and save a few lives, once and many more times. 


Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment